Albenza is a trading name of the Albendazol drug. This is an antihelminth product of the broad action which kills most known parasites.
Albenza significantly beats Mebendazole by the efficiency as well as the action. The drug is effective as to most intestinal nematodosis, and also larva (cestodiasis). There is probably no antiparasitic drug with such a broad action.
The mechanism of the action of Albenza consists in the destruction of the biochemical processes in the cells of parasites. The active ingredients of Albenza easily penetrate into the cells of the parasites and inhibit a transportation of glucose, a main ingredient of the cellular replication. Larvae and adult helminths do not receive enough amount of the nutrition ingredients, and so they lose a motion activity and an ability to replicate. In some period of time, they die.
Due to the broad pharmacological activity, Albenza may be used in the treatment of such parasitic diseases as:
- Neurocysticercosis caused by the larval form of the pork tapeworm
- Echinococcosis of the abdominal cavity caused by the larval form of the dog tapeworm
- Mixed helminthiasis
The active ingredient of Albenza are accumulated only in the cells of the parasites. Due to this, the drug has a good tolerance and a low toxicity. The medical studies have not found out the pathological processes in the human body during the use of high doses of Albenza. This product does not influence on the reproductive function of patients, does not cause a medical addiction.
In what dose is Albenza used?
A dosing regimen of Albenza depends on the individual medical image of a patient: age, body weight, type of parasite, size of the affected tissue.
- To treat Ascariasis, trichocephaliasis, enterobiosis, Albenza is used once in the dose of 400 mg. To prevent the parasites, another tablet of Albenza 400 mg is used in 2 weeks in order to kill the parasites which could be kept in eggs of helminths
- To treat pinworms, Albenza is used in the dose of 200 mg, once. In 2 weeks, another tablet of Albenza 200 mg is used
- If giardiasis, Albenza 400 mg is used once per day within 3 days
- If parasites are detected in the brain, Albenza is used as soon as possible in the dose of 400 mg 2 times per day within 10-30 days
The tablets of Albenza should be used orally in 10-15 minutes after meals, with enough water.
- To prevent second invasion, it is necessary to clean the room, change bed sheets and underclothing, clean all toys in children
- Albenza may be used by adults and children over 5 years old. A sensitivity to Albendazole is not examined in children under 5 years old
- In case of the intensive diseases of liver: liver cirrhosis, hepatic failure, and others, the use of Albenza is contraindicated
- A toxicity of Albenza for fetus is not examined. Therefore the use of Albenza is strictly contraindicated during pregnancy
- If you have to take Albenza during lactation, stop the breast-feeding
Common side effects
The use of Albenza may be accompanied by light or moderate side effects: abdominal pain, nausea, increased activity of liver enzymes, dizziness.
Patients often have skin rash and itching during the use of Albenza. This is a normal reaction to the action of the drug and removing parasites from the body. But if the rash grows or the urticaria symptoms or edema appear, have a stomach lavage and visit a physician as soon as possible. Rash grows, urticaria symptoms, or other allergic reaction can be symptoms of the individual intolerance of Albendazol.